Friday, July 07, 2006

Williams targets Valuev after Skelton

Commonwealth Heavyweight Champion, Danny Williams says he isn't intimidated by Nikolay Valuev's crushing third-round win last time out - and reckons he'll beat the Beast from the East after he's dealt with Matt Skelton on Saturday, July 8 at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, in a rematch of their crowd-pleasing scrap at the ExCel Centre in February.

And he says once he repeats his win over Skelton, his sights will be firmly set on WBA king Valuev, who stopped Owen Beck in three rounds in Germany." I know Valuev looked good, better than he has done before, but that doesn’t bother me," said Williams." I wasn't impressed with him when he beat Larry Donald, but getting the heavyweight title boosts your confidence and brings you on, and that's obviously what's happened to him."

But he doesn’t intimidate me and once I knock out Skelton I'm going to get down to business against Valuev and bring the heavyweight title home to Britain." Winning a world title was never supposed to be easy, and I'm prepared to take Valuev's best shots to get that WBA belt. And I still believe that he is the weakest of the four champions."Like everyone heavyweight out there, Williams has never fought anyone of Valuev's size before, but is confident he can come up with a game-plan to beat the 7'0 Russian." You've got to get on the inside like Mike Tyson used to do and use your speed to get to him," said Williams. "I don't think he's very fast, and that would be too my advantage because I'd see his punches coming."

Williams has been in training camp at Sheffield with long-time cornerman Jim McDonnell, and added that he is looking forward to headlining the Cardiff show after Joe Calzaghe pulled out of a defence of his WBO/IBF super-middleweight titles." I was gutted when I heard that Joe was off, but now I've got a great opportunity to impress everyone in front of the ITV cameras," said Williams." Everyone who saw my first fight with Skelton loved it, and I can promise the second one will be just as good."Williams-Skelton tops a sensational night of boxing that features six other title fights plus Olympic silver-medallist Amir Khan's eight professional outing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home