Friday, June 15, 2007

Faldo Nominates McGinley and Olazábal as Vice-Captains

European Ryder Cup Captain Nick Faldo has named Paul McGinley and José Maria Olazábal as his two Vice-Captains Designate for The 2008 Ryder Cup at Valhalla, Louisville, Kentucky, where Europe will seek a fourth consecutive victory in the biennial contest.

Spaniard Olazábal, 41, has played in seven Ryder Cup Teams, having made his debut in 1987, and formed a record partnership with his fellow countryman Severiano Ballesteros, winning 11 of their 15 matches together and halving two more. In The 2006 Ryder Cup, Olazábal was unbeaten after teaming up with another Spaniard in Sergio Garcia at The K Club and winning both their matches, and then winning his singles tie as Europe claimed a record-equalling 18 ½ - 9 ½ victory.

Irishman McGinley, 40, has appeared in the last three European Ryder Cup Teams and sensationally holed the winning putt in 2002 at The Belfry. He has been on the winning team on all three occasions with the last two victories secured by record margins.

Speaking ahead of the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth Club, Faldo said: “I've decided to have two Vice Captains Designate. Two guys that I feel I have good chemistry with. And one is mainly based and playing in America and one is mainly based and playing in Europe. That was very important for me to have good eyes and ears close to the ground, good feedback so we can discuss things and we'll start opening up communication lines with the players. But to have two players of their character and playing stature, I think is very important for me.

“The first is one man who has an incredible record and brings to the team great passion for The Ryder Cup and incredible determination, and I don't know where he got that passion and determination from. It may have had something to do with his incredible record he had playing with Seve Ballesteros, in their 15 matches he won 11 times, losing only twice, halving two. José Maria Olazábal.

“And Number Two is more in the vein of my diplomat as part of the team. I have already had a couple of chats with this fellow to get some good inside information. When I was thinking of who I wanted as my Vice-Captain, the players today look to very much this era, rather than the eras from the captains of past, he's a three time Ryder Cup player and holed an unbelievable magnificent putt at The Belfry: In the green corner Paul McGinley.”

Whilst both players’ first priority is to make The 2008 European Ryder Cup Team, both will play an important role in the next few months.

“Obviously it's a great feeling but he knows that my intentions are to be part of the team as a player,” said Olazábal. “But always it's nice to be named by Nick to help him in any area that he needs me to. I'm pretty sure that we'll be keeping all of our eyes and ears open just to hear things from the players and try to give Nick some information about possibilities or what players are thinking. That's pretty much going to be our job I think.”

McGinley added: “The thing is, obviously, what a great honour it is to be picked by Nick. We all know his record and how much in high esteem he's held and how much he thinks about the game, and to be picked as part of this team is a great honour.

“But obviously the main thing I want to do, I've played the last three matches and I want to play in this one, just as Ollie does. I've been very fortunate, I've played three Ryder Cups, won all three, two by record margins, under three great captains. I've learned a hell of a lot, but I still feel I've got a few more Ryder Cups in me and my first objective is to make the team. That's what I've will be endeavouring to do but I'm obviously thrilled that I'm going to be involved one way or the other and I'm obviously there to help in any way I can.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home