Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Thaxton takes on Stewart

Jon Thaxton will make the second defence of his British Lightweight Title against fellow Hennessy Sports boxer Dave Stewart at the York Hall in Bethnal Green on October 5. The bout was switched from Norwich to the home of British boxing in a show that will also feature London boxers Darren Barker, George Hillyard and Daniel Herdman, who will be making his professional debut after a promising amateur career. The show will be broadcast live by Sky Sports. Promoter Mick Hennessy is delighted the show will be held at the atmospheric York Hall. “It’s a brilliant fight between Jon and Dave and both have had plenty of notice for it so both will be in excellent shape and I expect a great encounter,” said Mick. “The show was originally going to be in Jon’s home city of Norwich and we had three venues lined up there, but there were complications and in the end we have to had to go to the home of British boxing where good things will happen on October 5th.” Thaxton knows he will have to be on top form to remain Britain's leading lightweight.“ Dave is proven top operator so I’m going to have to be on top of my game to stay British champion,” said Jon. Hennessy is looking forward to the return of middleweight Barker, the 2002 Commonwealth Games Gold Medallist, and debut of light-middleweight Herdman, a former England international amateur boxer. “Darren is looking forward to being back in action and he is one of the finest talents coming through in British boxing at the moment,” said Mick. “Daniel will be making his pro debut after a good amateur career with Repton. He’s got a style that is more suited t the pro game and should be exciting for TV. I’m expecting good things from him." Jon Thaxton feels he has a point to prove in the second defence of his British Lightweight Title against Dave Stewart at the York Hall, Bethnal Green, on October 5th.Thaxton is looking forward to facing his fellow Hennessy Sports boxer at the home of British boxing after admitting he was bothered by flu in his first title defence.Despite stopping Stoke's Scott Lawton in seven rounds in March, Thaxton believes he can do better and has warned Stewart he will be peak condition for him in the Hennessy Sports show which will be televised live by Sky Sports."I'm up for this fight more than any other," said Thaxton. "Everything has gone perfect in training and I'm ready to give a better performance than my last one."The sparring has gone really well and I haven't had any illness for this one which was the problem last time."I reckon I was only 50 per cent of what I should have been for my last fight because I was full of cold."My trainer Graham Everett was close to pulling me out before the fight, but I couldn't do it to my fans in Norwich and my promoter Mick Hennessy."I wasn't really happy with my performance but under the circumstances I was overjoyed at the end of the fight – but mainly because I was relieved just to get through it because I wasn't completely right."Thaxton, who was out-pointed by two-weight world champion Ricky Hatton in a bloody battle for the British Light-Welterweight Title in 2000, believes his strength will ensure he stays British champion when he meets Stewart.London-based Scotsman Stewart was stopped by Lee Meager in a previous British Title shot. Meager then lost to Thaxton in his first defence, but the British champion is not reading too much into recent common opponents."I think this could be a great fight but I know my strength is going to tell on the night," said Thaxton. "He's very tall for a lightweight but I faced a tall opponent last time in Scott Lawton and I worked him down like I'm going to Dave."Just because Dave got stopped by Lee Meager, and I beat Lee Meager, doesn't mean I should beat him. Styles make fights. Lee was good for me because he is a come-forward fighter, but I think I will have to go looking for Dave."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home