Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Khan's Birthday Bonanza

Amir Khan has got the 21st birthday present he wanted: a showdown with Graham Earl. Unbeaten Khan makes the second defence of his Commonwealth Lightweight title on his milestone birthday against the Luton scrapper at the Bolton Arena on Saturday 8th December live on ITV1. The Bolton hotshot, ranked number six by the WBO, disposed of English Champion Scott Lawton in the fourth round earlier this month with a punch-perfect display to set up his dream date against 'The Duke'. Earl's last fight was a real toe-to-toe war against Michael Katsidis in February for the WBO World Lightweight crown which is a hot favourite for the Fight of the Year award. Khan said, "A fight between us has been brewing for a while now and it's time to get business settled. This is a coming of age fight for me and I'm delighted that it's Earl in the opposite corner that I'm facing," "He's very experienced and has been around a long time. When he made his pro-debut in 1997 I was still just a 10-year-old kid!" "Earl's a former British, Commonwealth and European champion and has challenged for the world title so he will be an excellent test for me." "I've seen plenty of his fights against the likes of Katsidis, Steve Murray and Bobby Vanzie and I know what to expect from him - plenty of heart and power" "I'm in this sport to become a world champion and a great and there is no way that Earl is going to stop me achieving this." Earl, 29, does not see himself as a stepping-stone for Khan and has promised to be the first to defeat the young star. "I'm not an opponent for anybody and certainly not a building block for his record. Khan is a talented kid but he hasn't operated on my level and he will find out the hard way on his birthday that he has got a present that he never wanted," Retaliated Earl. "He's been like a constant thorn in my side, opening his mouth about fighting me and dismissing me and now it is time for him to put-up or shut-up," "Is he prepared for a war like the one I had against Katsidis? Because that is what I am going to give him. He got floored by a non-puncher like Willie Limond so how is he going to cope with someone like me who hits hard?" "I'm even more happy that the fight will be in his backyard because I will expose him in front of his home fans," "It might be his birthday but it will be my early Christmas present." Promoter Frank Warren said, "This is yet another step up for Amir in his career and against Graham he faces a world ranked opponent with a wealth of experience who will test him like never before. Amir looked sensational against Lawton and he will need that sort of form and more to deal with Graham."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home