Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Rees Ready for Khan Fight

Gavin Rees has warned Amir Khan he'll shatter his dreams of world domination - if he dares step up to light-welterweight and fight the Welshman.Rock-solid Rees, 27, will defend his WBA light-welterweight title against Andreas Kotelnik at the CIA, Cardiff, on March 22.And he knows that if he comes through the showdown, a Battle of Britain against Khan could be a possibility towards the end of 2008." Kotelnik is a world class operator, and I know that I'll have to be at my best against him to retain my title," said undefeated Rees." But when I've dealt with him I'll turn my attention to Khan. " I read the other week that he wants to step up to light-welterweight - and I'll be there waiting for him when he does." Once he's faced me he'll be going back down to lightweight pretty quick because I'll smash him to bits." I beat his best mate Souleymane M'Baye on points to win the title, but I'll go one step better against Khan and knock him spark out."Enzo Calzaghe, who trains Rees at his Newbridge gym and has just been installed as Ring Magazine's number one trainer, also fancies the fight against Khan." It would be the easiest night of Gavin's life," said Calzaghe Snr, who has four world champions under his charge " He'll wipe the floor with him. I'd have no hesitation in letting Amir Khan fight my man."Mandatory challenger Kotelink, 30, is one of the best light-welterweights in the world, and has only lost twice in 31 fights, and has never been stopped.An action-packed undercard will see Gary Lockett appear in an international 10-rounder as he aims to keep up the pressure on full WBO champion Kelly Pavlik, while Barrie Jones and Tony Doherty meet in a challenge for the Welsh welterweight title.Top prospects, Kell Brook, Harry Miles, Don Broadhurst and Kerry Hope are all in action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home