Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Mitchell and Johanneson Ready for Action

Kevin Mitchell promised "fireworks" on Saturday night as he repeatedly clashed today with British super-featherweight champion Carl Johanneson during a conference call.The pair were due to meet on January 12 in London until Johanneson pulled out with a bad back - and unbeaten Mitchell questioned whether that injury was genuine.He said the real reason the Yorkshireman pulled out of the fight was because he was partying too hard." I heard he was out on the piss in Leeds where he lives," said Mitchell, who challenges for the Lonsdale belt at the O2 Arena." I expected to get the call that fight had been called off long before it had happened. I don't accept his apology for withdrawing."That drew an angry reaction from both Johanneson, 29, and his manager Frank Maloney." I'm going to expose you, I'm going to knock you out," was the short and sweet response from Johanneson, a man of few words.Maloney added: "Johanneson is a very professional boxer and he hasn't touched a drop of drink since this fight was announced. " He wanted to go ahead with the fight on January 12, but I made a decision as his manager and trainer to pull him out. I wouldn't have been able to give it his best, but two months down the line he will be able to."Meanwhile Mitchell, the current Commonwealth champion, says that he is ready to step into the spotlight on Saturday night." This is my time," said the 23-year-old, who has served a lengthy apprenticeship in building up a 25-0 record." This fight is coming along at just the right time for me. Johanneson hasn't beaten some good fighters, but he hasn't faced anyone as good as me. " I've had a great training camp and fantastic sparring. I'm really looking forward to bringing the British title back to London. There will be some fireworks at the O2."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home