Friday, August 15, 2008

Arthur and Cook lock horns

Alex Arthur and Nicky Cook have vowed to set aside the niceities when they clashin a Battle of Britain at the M.E.N Arena on September 6.The two super-featherweights swapped jokes and pleasantries during a conferencecall today instead of the usual insults.But both men promised there will be plenty of bad blood when the bell goes tosignal the start of their WBO world title clash next month."We are both nice guys and family men at heart, but once the bell goeswe'll be at each other's throats," said champion Arthur on his assignmentwith the Auld Enemy."It's another England versus Scotland battle and they don't need much toget them going so I'm sure the fans won't go home disappointed."Nicky is an all-action fighter like me, and I know he'll be coming to ripmy title away so I'll have to match him punch for punch."I'm looking forward to a great night in Manchester and I'm sure that wecan live up to all the hype."Cook, 28, who makes his first world title appearance at 9'4 but has boxed forthe WBO crown at featherweight before, added: "I'll have to meet whateverAlex is planning to throw at me."I wouldn't have taken this fight if I didn't feel confident I could winit. Whatever he hits me with I'll be throwing back twice as much. I've got thetools to beat him."I know it's not going to be a walk in the park. It's going to be a greatfighter and I know that we'll be putting on a fantastic show for all thefans."Meanwhile both fighters said they would entertain the prospect of a firstdefence against young tyro Kevin Mitchell, who holds the British andCommonwealth titles.Arthur, 30, said: "I don't have a problem fighting anyone. It doesn't makea great deal of difference to me who they put in front of me, as long as I getpaid."Cook, whose father Paul trains both him and Mitchell, added: "This is abusiness at the end of the day. If they want us to fight and the money is right,then I'd sit down and talk about it."Arthur v Cook joint headlines 2 Hot 2 Handle alongside Amir Khan's fifth defenceof his Commonwealth lightweight title.Tickets for 2 Hot 2 Handle, priced at £30, £40, £50, £100, £150 and £200, areavailable from www.frankwarren.tv and the following outlets:M.E.N Ticketmaster0870 190 8000www.men-arena.comBWFC0871 871 2932khantickets@bwfc.co.ukKhan Boxing01204 535 332www.amirkhan-boxing.comSee Tickets0871 220 0260www.seetickets.comTicket Factory0871 945 6000www.ticketfactory.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home