Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Time is right for McGuire

Stevie McGuire believes Brian Magee is ready for the taking in Saturday’s Vacant British Super-Middleweight Title showdown at the Brentwood Centre. McGuire (Glenrothes, Scotland) might be the underdog for the fight against Magee (Belfast, Northern Ireland) but he is not lacking confidence after a two-week training camp in Cyprus to get ready for the biggest fight of his life.
Magee will be trying to become British champion at the third attempt after being stopped for the same belt by new WBC super-middleweight champion Carl Froch in 2006 and then held to a controversial draw with Tony Oakey for the British light-heavyweight belt last year. But McGuire is confident of improving his 15-fight unbeaten record on the Hennessy Sports show that will be shown live on ITV4 from 8.40pm. “I’ve never trained like that in my life,” said McGuire. “I was pushed more than I thought I was capable of and it’s the best I’ve ever felt. “When you are in big fights like this and with this being such a massive fight, I couldn’t cut any corners so I’ve had a nutritionist and a coach for southpaws. “I have beaten everybody that has been put in front of me, so I think I can do the same on Magee. He was world class but I think I have got him at the right time.” Also on the same bill, Darren Barker (Barnet, England) defends his Commonwealth Middleweight Title against Jason McKay (Banbridge, Northern Ireland). Unbeaten Lee Purdy (Colchester), Steve O’Meara (Wembley), Gareth Couch (High Wycombe) and Dwayne Lewis (Canning Town) are also in action. Purdy faces Peter McDonagh (Bermondsey) while O’Meara takes on Matt Scriven (Nottingham) and Lewis hopes to continue his run of stoppages against Ryan Walls (Slough). Couch won his last fight a month ago by first round KO and will next face Steve Gethin (Walsall) while Matthew Thirlwall (Bermondsey) makes his comeback versus Manocha Salari (Worksop) after a year out. Tom Glover (Maldon) takes on Leonard Lothian (Northampton) in what promises to be an exciting show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home