Friday, February 20, 2009

Rogan aiming for the Big Time

Martin Rogan is aiming to become Ireland's second heavyweight world champion - more than 100 years after the last man to hold the greatest prize in boxing. And he says victory over Matt Skelton later this month will put him on course to achieve his dream. The 37-year-old from Belfast will face Skelton at the N.I.A IN Birmingham, on February 28. Having ended the career of Audley Harrison in December when he beat the Olympic gold medallist over 10 rounds, Rogan is looking to repeat the trick against Skelton. And "The Entertainer" believes that a spectacular win over the Commonwealth heavyweight champion will allow him to gatecrash the world scene."It's everyone's dream when they are growing up to become heavyweight champion of the world," said Rogan. "Harrison was being talked up as a possible world title contender and I beat him. Now everyone is doing the same with Skelton. Both of them said that I was a stepping stone for their world title ambitions, but I'm a stepping stone for no one. "Skelton is a great fighter and it's not going to be easy, but I will go in there believing I will win, and if I do defeat him, then why shouldn't I be thinking about becoming a world champion. "And you know what - I don't think this a tougher fight than Harrison. "Harrison had a lot more class and boxing ability than Skelton. I've got a lot of respect for Matt and he's going to rough and tough, but to be honest that suits me down to the ground, more than fighting someone like Harrison. "I've got a great team behind me in John Breen and Eamonn Magee, and it's going to be about whose game plan is best, and I believe mine will be." Rogan, 11-0 with five stoppages, doesn't have history on his side in his quest for world glory. But there has been an Irish heavyweight champion before - in 1895, Peter Maher was awarded the title by retired champion Jim Corbett after beating Steve O'Donnell. He lost the crown in his first defence against Bob Fitzsimmons. "We've not had a great history of heavyweights in Ireland, and I must admit I'd not heard of Peter Maher before," said Rogan. "But I know I've the got the tools to get to the very top and finally put Ireland on the map as far as us big men are concerned. We've had lots of great fighters at lighter weights in the past, but now the heavyweights are coming! "I'm so confident after the Harrison victory. I've had a great training camp and I've been sparring with some good, big heavyweights in Northern Ireland and the south, everything has been spot on." Tickets, priced at £30, £50, £100 and £150, are available from: Ticket Factory 0844 338 8000 http://www.theticketfactory.com/
See Tickets 0871 220 0260 www.seetickets.com Ticket Master 0844 847 2500www.ticketmaster.com/Ticketline 0871 888 9991 http://www.ticketline.co.uk/ SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2009 THE NATIONAL INDOOR ARENA, BIRMINGHAM THE COMMONWEALTH HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP 12 X 3 Minutes Rounds MATT SKELTON (Bedford, England) vs. MARTIN ROGAN (Belfast, Northern Ireland) THE COMMONWEALTH SUPER-FLYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP 12 X 3 Minute Rounds at 8st 3lb (115lb) DON BROADHURST (Birmingham, England) vs. ISSAC OWUSU (Accra, Ghana) THE MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP OF ENGLAND 10 X 3 Minute Rounds at 11st 6lb (160lb) STEVE BENDALL (Coventry, England) vs. DARREN McDERMOTT (Dudley, England) 4 X 3 Minute Rounds Middleweight Contest JAMES DeGALE (Harlesden, London, England) vs. VEPKHIA TCHILAIA (Tblisi, Georgia) 4 X 3 Minute Rounds Welterweight Contest FRANKIE GAVIN (Birmingham, England) vs. GEORGE KADARIA (Tblisi, Georgia) 4 X 3 Minute Rounds Light-Welterweight Contest BILLY JOE SAUNDERS (Hatfield, England) vs. ATTILA MOLNAR (Hungary) 4 X 3 Minute Rounds Featherweight Contest STEVEN SMITH (Liverpool, England) vs. STEVE GETHIN (Walsall, England) 4 X 3 Minute Rounds Light-Middleweight Contest THOMAS COSTELLO (Birmingham, England) vs. MATT SCRIVEN (Nottingham, England)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home