Friday, April 24, 2009

Broadhurst flys the flag for Flyweights

All-action Don Broadhurst is aiming to recreate a golden era for British flyweights - and roll back the years to the days when the little-men from the home nations dominated the division.
The 25-year-old defends his Commonwealth super-flyweight belt at the Wolverhampton Civic Centre on Friday night against teak-tough Ghanaian Asomoah Wilson live on Sky Sports.
But unbeaten Broadhurst already has his eye on bigger things - and has been inspired by some of the legendary names of British boxing history, including Jimmy Wilde and Benny Lynch."Before the Second World War, British boxers dominated at flyweight," said Broadhurst."It really was a golden age. "Flyweights were big business and there was a fantastic production line in the UK. I want to recreate the same success we had back then." Among Britain's pre-war champions were Lynch and Wilde, as well as Jackie Brown and Peter Kane. There were more champions after WWII, including Duke McKenzie and Frank Warren promoted Charlie Magri, but Britain hasn't had a flyweight world champion since Robbie Regan vacated the IBF belt in 1995. And no boxer from Britain has ever held a version of the super-flyweight world title. But Broadhurst says all that is about to change. "I'm only 10 fights into my professional career and I've still got a lot to learn," said Birmingham's Broadhurst, who makes the second defence of his Commonwealth title against Wilson. "But I know that I have got the ability to make it to world level. "Vic Darchinyan is obviously the man to beat at the moment, and he's a very good fighter. There are some other good lads out there as well. "But I'm moving in the right direction. If I beat Wilson then I've got a British title shot lined up against Lee Haskins, and after that I'll look to move on to European and world level."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home