Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Glover out for revenge on Siddique

Essex crowd-pleaser Tom Glover will be out for revenge in Wigan this weekend as he looks to reverse a defeat to Nadeem “Golden Boy” Siddique in a battle of champions on the undercard of Hennessy Sports “Rule Britannia” event. Glover, the reigning Southern Area Welterweight Champ clashes with current Central Area Lightweight title holder Siddique at the Robin Park Arena in Wigan this Saturday (June 13th) with John Murray’s second defence of his British Lightweight title against Stoke’s Scott Lawton topping the bill. The event is live on ITV4 from 8pm on Saturday with unbeaten heavyweight sensation Tyson Fury also on the card. Glover suffered a points defeat at the hands of Siddique when they last met in 2007 and while he’s confident of reversing that result this time around he has plenty of respect for his old foe. “He’s a very sharp boxer, he’s got quick hands and he’s a good clean puncher so I have a lot of respect for him,” said Glover. He’s definitely one of the best I’ve fought but the difference this time is that it’s going to be over 10 rounds rather than 6 and I think that will suit me a lot more than it will suit him.” Last time out Siddique suffered the lone defeat on his 23 fight record with a seventh round stoppage loss to Martin Gethin for the English title and Glover believes it highlighted some chinks in the Siddique armour. “I watched that fight and I think his tank ran dry in that one. He was winning hands down for the first four rounds but then Gethin started to come on strong and by the finish Siddique had nothing left. I think our fight will go the same way, he’ll definitely be dangerous early on but I’ll be looking to take control of things around the halfway point and I think I’ll be too strong for him as the fight goes on.” Naturally Siddique would beg to differ and he has already said that he’s not concerned at the prospect of meeting Glover again but the 27-year-old Maldon native believes he’s in for a surprise. “The first time I fought him I was really only warming into the pro game,” said Glover. “I think I’d only had 8 fights while he was already unbeaten in 19 and making a name for himself so there was a big gap in experience. It was my first time on a big World title show as well (with Junior Witter successfully defending his WBC Light Welterweight title against Vivian Harris) so that all added to the pressure. “I think the tables have turned now though because he’s been out for nearly a year since getting beat and in that time I’ve had 3 fights and got plenty of rounds and experience under my belt so I think the difference will show on Saturday night.” Glover is coming off the back of two real war’s, a toe to toe small hall classic with Scott Woolford to claim the Southern Area title and a back and forth affair with Chas Symonds in March and he believes it could be a hat trick this weekend. “I’m probably not the most technical boxer in the world but I can guarantee anyone that I get in there with will know they’ve been in a real fight. I’m in the best form of my career right now so I’m coming into this fight really confident. I’m sure he will be as well having beaten me before so I think sparks could fly in this one.” Glover and Siddique face off in a Battle of Champions on the undercard of the Hennessy Sports “Rule Britannia” event at the Robin Park Arena, Wigan on Saturday, June 13th. The main event sees John Murray looking to retain his British Lightweight title against reigning English Champ Scott Lawton. Heavyweight sensation Tyson Fury will have his seventh professional outing on the card with his cousin Phill Fury also featuring alongside hot featherweight prospect Steve Barnes and the pro debuts of Bobby “Boogaloo” Ward, the last Englishman to defeat Amir Khan and Sheffield heavyweight, Richard Towers. Exciting puncher Andrew Singh Kooner completes the line-up

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home