Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Quiros returns to Portugese Triumph

Alvaro Quiros will return to the scene of the victory that began his ascent to golf’s elite top 50 at the Portugal Masters from October 15-18. The Spaniard’s win at the Oceânico Victoria Golf Course, Vilamoura, Portugal, last year sent him charging towards the top 50 on the Official World Golf Ranking before he broke into the world’s elite with his victory at the Commercialbank Qatar Masters Presented by Dolphin Energy. “It was a great feeling and great victory for me because it opened the door for so much for me,” said Quiros. “First of all, winning the Portugal Masters got me into the Volvo Masters which was my immediate target. I had not had a great season up until that point but Portugal really kick-started my year. “It also opened the door to the top 50 on World Rankings for me and then I got in there after winning in Qatar, but the Portugal Masters got me moving in that direction – it was a very important victory in my career. “I am really looking forward to going back: it is a beautiful place, a beautiful resort and there is a great atmosphere there. Everything is very relaxed and you can have a great frame of mind going into the tournament. “This will be the first time that I have actually defended a title. I didn’t get the chance to defend the Alfred Dunhill title that I won in South Africa so it will be nice to be the defending champion. I hope that going back there can have the same effect as last year because I have not been playing great recently – perhaps Portugal can kick-start me again.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home