Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Skelton and Chisora in Wembley Showdown

Heavyweight hitters Derek Chisora and Matt Skelton are both promising explosive performances when they meet in a classic crossroads fight on February 13 at Wembley Arena. The pair will slug it out for the Vacant Southern Area title on Frank Warren's first action-packed show of the new decade featuring British Champions Kevin Mitchell and Kell Brook, more heavyweight action with Sam Sexton versus Danny Williams, plus The Olympians James DeGale, Frankie Gavin and Billy Joe Saunders. Chisora v Sexton will also double as an eliminator for the British title, and represents a massive test for both men. Unbeaten in 11 fights and with a stoppage win over Sexton, Chisora is one of the country's hottest prospects and is vowing to back it up with victory over former world title challenger Skelton. "Matt's been there and done it all, he's had his chance, but it's time for a new generation of heavyweights to come through," said 25-year-old Chisora. "I respect what he has acheived but I'm going to send him into retirement. "This is a much tougher fight for me than one against Sexton or Williams, and once I've done the business against Skelton I'll knock out the winner of that one as well. "This a great chance of me to test myself against a proven champion, and it's just the kind of fight that I've been waiting for. Skelton won't know what's hit on February 13 and I'm going to knock him out in style. "The Bedford Bear will be well and truly tamed." Skelton, a former British, Commonwealth and European champion, has spent the last five years campaigning at championship level. "Chisora is the new kid on the block, but I'm going to take him to school big time," said Skelton. "He's always running his mouth off and I'm going to shut it up for him once and for all. "He's taken this one because he thinks that I've had a couple of tough fights and I'm going to be there for the taking. "But he's going to get a nasty surprise when I take away his unbeaten record. He might have snacked on his last opponent's ear, but he's bitten off more than he can chew in this fight. "People have been asking me recently if I'm going to retire, but I've never even thought about hanging up the gloves. "I want my British title back, and Chisora is standing in the way of me getting a crack at the Lonsdale belt again."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home