Monday, September 23, 2013

Groves replaces Booth with Fitzpatrick

World-ranked super-middleweight contender 'Saint' George Groves is delighted to announce that Ireland's Paddy Fitzpatrick will take over training duties ahead of his WBA and IBF world title tilt against Carl 'The Cobra' Froch on November 23. The announcement comes days after Groves and trainer Adam Booth parted ways following a five-year working relationship and marks the next chapter in the 25-year-old's promising ring career. "I am extremely happy to name Paddy Fitzpatrick as my new trainer going into what is the biggest fight of my life," said Groves, the former British and Commonwealth super-middleweight champion. "Paddy and I have worked closely together in the past and already have a very good relationship, one built over many years. Not only has he worked my corner for important fights, we have also spent a lot of time together when abroad on training camps, where Paddy has overseen a number of significant sessions. "Although this is a fresh change for me, I'm working with someone I know and respect, and someone who knows my game inside out. We both know how the other works, so it won't take long to hit the ground running." A one-time mainstay of gyms in Las Vegas and Los Angeles, including the legendary Wild Card, Fitzpatrick has trained the likes of Laila Ali, Lucia Rijker, Virgil Hill, Michael Grant, Justin Juuko and Kid Diamond, and worked alongside coaches Freddie Roach and James ‘Buddy’ McGirt. In recent years he has cornered both Groves and David Haye for some of their most crucial fights, offering valued advice and a sense of calm whenever called upon. "His experience and knowledge of the game is world-class and he is, without doubt, the perfect trainer to help me prepare for my next fight," added 'The Saint'. "He has a great energy, both in the gym and on fight night, and I feel totally comfortable in his presence. "I'm looking forward to working with Paddy on a full-time basis and I'm excited to start adding many more tools to my arsenal. By the time November 23 arrives, I'll be better than ever. And more than capable of dethroning Carl Froch."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home