Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Jennings goes to the Dogs

WBU World Welterweight title challenger Michael "The Lurcher" Jennings is a regular with his hunting dogs on the Lancashire Moors - and now he wants to get his teeth into champion Takaloo.

The 28-year-old fights for the WBU crown on Frank Warren's mega card at the Bolton Arena on September 2, but there will be no splashing out on a fancy holiday or a sports car if he wins.

Instead he'll take his three lurcher dogs - Tat, Tag and Zak - out rabbiting near his Chorley home, where he works with the permission of local farmers.

" There's nothing I love more than getting away from it all with my dogs, it helps me switch off from boxing," said Jennings. "I'll be celebrating my win by getting back to nature.

" The lurching season doesn't start until September, so the dogs are raring to go at the moment - a bit like me.

" I'll have been training for nine weeks come fight night, and trust me, Takaloo's going to be like a rabbit caught in the headlights when I pounce on him and rip him to shreds.

" Once the dogs taste blood there's no stopping them, and once I get into a fight, nothing stands between me and victory."

Former British welterweight king Jennings is certainly a man for the countryside - as well as lurching he goes Fell Running to keep in shape between fights.

" If I go on a long run it will be nine or 10 miles, and I go out most days come rain or shine," he added. "It's hammering it down at the moment but that won't stop getting out on the moors.

" I even do my sprints on the local hills. I've been asked to run competively, but I've just not got the time with all the boxing."

Jennings' busy life outside the ring also includes appearances as a drummer for punk band The Shoks, who play regularly in pubs on the north west circuit.

And he will be entering the Bolton Arena to one of the band's songs ahead of what he hopes will be his 29th professional victory.

Jennings-Takaloo is one of three world title fights on the Bolton Arena card, with Raul Balbi and Souleymane M'Baye duking it out for the WBA light-welterweight crown, and Clinton Woods defending his IBF light-heavyweight title against Glen Johnson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home