Friday, June 15, 2007

Calzaghe Eyes Up Kessler

Record-breaking WBO World Super-Middleweight Champion Joe Calzaghe says he wants his 21st title defence to be against top target Mikkel Kessle. 35-year-old Calzaghe made a landmark 20th title defence against Peter Manfredo last month and has dominated the 168lb division since ripping the title from British great Chris Eubank in 1997. The unbeaten Welshman reckons he can continue into his 40's like rival Bernard Hopkins the former undisputed middleweight king. "I have proudly held the WBO title for nearly 10 years since my great win over Chris Eubank way back in 1997. I've made 20 defences and I would love my 21st to be against Kessler," said Calzaghe. "Tiger Woods and Roger Federer have dominated their sports for the last few years but boxing is the hardest sport out there and to remain at the top for the last 10 years as a WBO World Champion is an achievement I am very proud of," "I'm in fantastic shape and I'm beating the younger lads in our gym when we are in training. I'm 35 but I feel like I'm 21 and I've still got a few good years ahead of me and I don't see why I can't carry on into my 40's like Hopkins has done."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home