Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Cook on the Comeback Trail

Dagenham's Nicky Cook returns to action on October 13 at York Hall - and says his dream of winning a world title is far from over. Cook, suffered his first professional defeat at the O2 Arena in July, in a challenge for the WBO World Featherweight title. The former British, Commonwealth and European champion showed tremendous heart before falling to class operater Steven Luevano. Refusing to be disheartened by the loss, Cook insists that he can still be a force at world level. "Luevano was a great fighter and he deserved to win," said the 28-year-old. "But he had been beaten before only to come back stronger, and I can take heart from that. "They say what makes you a class act is not how you win, but how you come back from defeat. "I'm still young and I know that I can still be a force at featherweight. "I was unlucky to come up against a fighter at the top of his game, but I'll be working hard in the gym to secure a second world title shot. "I was devastated by the defeat, but the dream's not over yet. I know my promoter Frank Warren can get me another crack, and I can't wait to get back to winning ways." Cook returns to the home of boxing next month in an eight rounder, and is then hoping to get into title contention. Derry Mathews' WBU World Featherweight title defence against Matthew Marsh tops the York Hall bill. Also on the card is Stephen Foster Jnr, 2006 Commonwealth Games Champion Jamie Cox, Vinny Mitchell, Grant Skehill, Eddie Cocoran, Sam Sexton, Billy Saunders and Derek Chisora.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home