Friday, January 11, 2008

Mighty Mitchell Tackles Torres

Kevin Mitchell will now fight experienced Venezuelan Edison Torres at the York Hall on Saturday night - and has vowed not to let his loyal fans down. Undefeated Mitchell was due to challenge Carl Johanneson for the British super-featherweight title on January 12, until the Yorkshireman was ruled out with a bad back. Then Ghanaian Thomas Aryeetey, due to challenge Mitchell for the Commonwealth crown but failed to pass a British Boxing Board of Control medical test. The Dagenham Destroyer trained relentlessly over the Christmas period and missed out on his mum's legendary Xmas Day dinner - although he will get a special one served for him on the Sunday after the fight. Now Mitchell will fight Torres, who has campaigned all over the world in a staggering 78-fight career, over 10 rounds and has promised a win to keep up the pressure on Johanneson. "It's been a difficult few weeks for me what with all the changes, but I'm determined to put on a cracking show for my fans," said 23-year-old Mitchell. "After all the training I put in over Christmas and New Year there was no way I was not going to fight and let them down. I'm determined not to let all that training go to waste and will be taking all my anger out on Torres," "He looks like a tough fighter, so I won't be taking him lightly. It's still my dream to win the British title, and I know that I can't afford any slip ups on Saturday night. "Hopefully Johanneson will be watching the fight, and I can send out a strong message to him - I'm coming to get your title." "At least my Old Dear will have my special Christmas Day dinner waiting for me when I pop round on Sunday!" Promoter Frank Warren added: "Unfortunately these things happen in boxing and we have had a few headaches but the main thing is that Kevin is still fighting but looking at Torres' record, he could be dangerous," "He's a bit of a puncher, and when guys come in at late notice you never know what is going to happen. Kevin will have to be on his guard because any complacency will get punished." Torres, is based in Valencia, Spain and goes by the nickname of El Guapito, or "Pretty One". A strong York Hall undercard, headed by Takaloo and Anthony Small challenging for the vacant Southern Area light-middleweight title, remains unchanged.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home