Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Hopkins Ready for War

Bernard Hopkins promised to take Joe Calzaghe into the trenches when they meet at the Planet Hollywood Ring, The Thomas & Mack Centre, Las Vegas on April 19.The pair resumed hostilities on the first leg of a three-city press tour of the United States." I'm in Executioner mode," said a mean and moody Hopkins, 48-4, at a media conference at Planet Hollywood in New York." I walk a fine line that others don't want to walk. I'll win by any means necessary. Anything can happen, I fear nobody and nothing. You will all see something special on April 19, and I will show you all who is the best." I said I'm going to punish Calzaghe slowly, and I'll repeat that today. I'll ask that his father is merciful to him and pulls him out when he is getting hurt."Calzaghe, undefeated in 44 fights and the current WBC/WBA/WBO super-middleweight champion, says he remains confident of victory despite 43-year-old Hopkins' verbal onslaught." I've always wanted to fight the best in America, and Hopkins is not only the best light-heavyweight in the world, but one of the best pound for pound fighters as well," said the 35-year-old Welshman." I've said before that the bigger the challenge, the harder the test, the better I perform. I want to be known as a great and a legend and these are the type of fights that I need." I'm excited, really excited, to be in America, and being here today in front of all the media is mouth-watering." But the ring is my home, and if Hopkins wants a war then I will give him one on April 19 and meet him toe to toe. If he wants a chess match I'll give him a chess match and out-box him. All I'm going to say is that I will remain unbeaten."Calzaghe's promoter, Frank Warren, added: "This is a fight between two super boxers and I'm sure it will be a fantastic occasion." I'd like to thank Robert Earl at Planet Hollywood for helping to put this together, as well as Kerry Davis at HBO, and Setanta Sports. I'm also looking forward to working with Golden Boy Promotions." Fight fans have been crying out for this fight for a long time, and I'm delighted we have finally done a deal. It's the best versus the best and I'm confident Joe Calzaghe will remain undefeated when he leaves the ring."Meanwhile HBO have announced that they will screen a special 30 minute documentary on the fight on April 12.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home