Monday, March 10, 2008

Pyman is Piping Hot

England’s Iain Pyman has set his sights on landing his first European Tour title after clinching victory at the Tusker Kenya Open on the Challenge Tour. The Yorkshireman’s final round of 68 at Nairobi’s Karen Golf Club, for a 12 under par aggregate score of 272, was enough to hold off the challenge of Austria’s Thomas Feyrsinger, who finished three shots back. Overnight leader Daniel Barbetti of Argentina was unable to maintain his momentum, dropping back into a share of fifth place alongside a quartet of Brits: England’s Gary Boyd and Gary Clark, and Scotland’s Scott Henderson and Greig Hutcheon. Pyman’s triumph was the eight of his Challenge Tour career but the 35 year old, who pinpointed a “gutsy” round yesterday as the key to his success, is yet to land a European Tour title. Having recovered from a shaky start to the tournament to take the €28,800 winner’s cheque, Pyman is now confident of acquitting himself well at his next European Tour event, the Madeira Islands Open BPI in Portugal. He said: “It was nice to get the winning feeling back, and hopefully I can now take that form and confidence into the Madeira Open. “After being three over par through six holes on the first day here, winning the tournament was probably the last thing on my mind – I was more worried about just making the cut!
“Obviously after my 63 on the second day, I knew I was in with a chance of winning. But it was probably my gutsy round yesterday, when I didn’t play well at all but still shot one under, which set me up for the win.”Spain’s Rafael Cabrera Bello and Alexandre Rocha of Brazil were tied for third on seven under par after shooting final day rounds of 67.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home