Thursday, June 05, 2008

Mitchell Set for his American Debut

WBO Intercontinental Super-Featherweight Champion Kevin Mitchell aims to emulate his hero Nigel Benn by conquering Atlantic City on his American debut.Mitchell defends his title against former world title challenger Walter Estrada on the Kelly Pavlik-Gary Lockett undercard on June 7 at the Boardwalk Hall, televised live and exclusive on Setanta Sports 1.The unbeaten 23-year, who also holds the British and Commonwealth titles, takes faces Estrada in 'Americas Playground' where Benn beat Doug De Witt in April 1990 to win his first world title." It's a dream to be fighting in America for the first time on such a big show but it's even better to be fighting in Atlantic City where Nigel Benn boxed," Said Mitchell." He was my idol when I was a kid and I've got all of his fights on video including the classic against De Witt,"" I wore it out the amount of times I played it over and over again but this is how I have modeled my style around his,"" The American fans love a fighter who come to have a fight and show plenty of aggression and they will get that with me, I'm sure I can win them over."Southpaw Estrada posed plenty of problems to then WBO World Featherweight Champion Scott Harrison when they met in Glasgow in 2004 before Harrison stopped him in the fifth round.The lanky Colombian throws long, looping, and dangerous punches from various angles but Mitchell is focused on making the fight short and explosive.He added, "I'm expecting a good test against Estrada. From what I have seen of him he looks to be a right handful but once I find my range with the jab I can break up his body with some hard uppercuts and hooks," " He gave Harrison a lively few rounds before Harrison figured him out and stopped him, but I'm going to smash him up from the first bell and not give him a chance to get himself set."A victory against Estrada puts Mitchell one step closer to a massive all-British showdown against Edinburgh's Alex Arthur who holds the WBO World title. He said, "I want to fight Arthur soon and take that world title off him that he's holding me. He's got a title defence coming up first so he gets to hold it for a bit longer but once he fights me he knows it will be over," " First up for me is Estrada and I'm going to put on a devastating performance to show that I can be Britain's next world champion."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home