Monday, June 02, 2008

Woosnam makes a Comeback

Wales’ Ian Woosnam fought his nerves and soaring temperatures to capture his first strokeplay title for more than a decade at the inaugural Parkridge Polish Seniors Championship on the European Seniors Tour. In an epic head-to-head duel with playing partner Domingo Hospital at a sun-soaked Krakow Valley Golf and Country Club, Woosnam carded ten birdies en route to a round of 63 which smashed the course record and helped the Welshman record his first strokeplay victory since the Volvo PGA Championship in 1997. Woosnam’s 15 under par total saw him finish one shot clear of Hospital, who birdied the last hole for a superb round of 64.
Woosnam said: “Domingo played absolutely fantastically. Every time I made a birdie he made a birdie, and vice versa. It was a terrific battle. I was pretty nervous towards the end, because it’s been a while since I’ve been in a winning position. I haven’t won a strokeplay competition since 1997, so it was nice to get that monkey off my back. I think I’ll celebrate with a few beers tonight! “It’s been hard work in this heat. It’s a big course and the ground’s very firm, so it’s just knocked my feet about a bit. It’s been a tough couple of weeks, on the back of the tournament in the States. But even though I’m in a bit of pain, I’m still a happy man.” Japan’s Katsuyoshi Tomori finished four shots behind Hospital in third, whilst Scotland’s John Chillas finished in a tie for fourth with France’s Philippe Dugeny after a fine round of 66.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home