Friday, August 15, 2008

Colombian challenger stands in Khan's way

British boxing superstar Amir Khan faces the fight of his life against Colombianpowerhouse Breidis Prescott on September 6 at the M.E.N Arena in Manchester.The 25-year-old Colombian boasts a fearsome unbeaten record of 19 fights with 17big knockout wins - a staggering 14 coming inside three rounds.Khan, who is WBO #2, WBC #5 and IBF #10 ranked, has an equally impressive record- undefeated in 18 fights with 14 KO's - and recently stopped Michael Gomez in athrilling five-round shoot out.At nearly 6' Prescott, ranked #14 by the WBA, has boxed as high aslight-welterweight before, will have a slight height advantage over Khan.The pair will fight for Khan's WBO Intercontinental lightweight title at theM.E.N Arena that has seen some of the best fights in recent years includingRicky Hatton v Kostya Tszyu and Joe Calzaghe v Ricky Hatton.And Khan is looking to put on an a great performance for his glittering debut onSky Box Office, after promoter Frank Warren signed a new 20-fight deal withBritain's premier sports broadcaster."Prescott looks dangerous but he's just the kind of opponent I need at thisstage of my career to get my fear instinct to kick in," said Khan."He may have been knocking them out left right and centre, but I'm going tomake him wake up and smell the coffee!"I've been working on my defensive skills with new coach Jorge Rubio, andit looks like Prescott will be testing out what I've been learning in the gym."Along with my strength and conditioning coach, I'm also punching harderthan ever before, and I think my offensive skills are going to win my thisfight."I love to entertain the crowd and the viewers on Sky Box Office, and Iplan to go to war against Prescott. I won't be hiding from him - I'll go afterhim and try and knock him out like I do with all my opponents."Hailing from Barranquilla, Colombia, Prescott was due to challenge for the WBAFedalatin lightweight title before accepting this bout.A man of few words, he said this morning: "Khan is just a boy. I'm willknock him out," he said this morning.Alex Arthur's first defence of his WBO World Super-Featherweight title againstNicky Cook headlines the blockbuster show.The night of boxing will be available to Sky digital subscribers for £14.95 onSky Box Office channel 743 and in high definition on channel 753. It can beordered by press the red button on the Sky remote handset - there is a £1booking fee for any orders made by phone. For further information and to orderthe event, viewers can call: 08442 410 888Tickets for the M.E.N Arena show are priced at £30, £40, £50, £100, £150 and£200 and are available from www.frankwarren.tv and the following outlets:M.E.N Ticketmaster0870 190 8000www.men-arena.comBWFC0871 871 2932khantickets@bwfc.co.ukKhan Boxing01204 535 332www.amirkhan-boxing.comSee Tickets0871 220 0260www.seetickets.comTicket Factory0871 945 6000www.ticketfactory.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home