Monday, September 29, 2008

McIntosh in confident mood for Spartacus

Danny McIntosh is confident he will go on to fight for bigger titles after Saturday’s English Light-Heavyweight Title challenge against Steve Spartacus. The Norwich boxer has won all of his seven fights and will be seeking to keep his home fans happy when he takes on experienced Ipswich warrior Spartacus at the Norfolk Showground in Norwich. McIntosh’s fellow Norwich boxer Jon Thaxton challenges for the European Lightweight Title as top of the bill on ‘Big Fight Live’ on ITV4 promoted by Hennessy Sports. McIntosh believes winning the English Title will launch his career and propel him towards the British and Commonwealth Titles. "It’s excellent news that it’s for the English title because you just look at what has happened to Rendall Munroe recently," he said. "He only became English super-bantamweight champion a year ago and now he is European champion talking about world titles. It can happen that quickly and this can be the start for me. "I’ve got the potential to do that and win titles beyond the English title – this is just the start for me. "I’ve always had the potential but now I just have to let people see what I can do in a title fight. "I took the fight against Joey Vegas at just a week’s notice and I boxed his head off in his own back yard, so that shows I’ve got the potential to do more." McIntosh says there is an extra edge to this English Title showdown with being it an East Anglia derby: Norwich v Ipswich. The 28-year-old, who trains at Brendan Ingle’s gym in Sheffield, has told Ipswich hero Spartacus to expect a hostile reception for their local spat. "Me and Steve have sparred together and he’s a good lad, but he’s my foe at the moment and I’m thinking about doing a number on him," he said. "When the Norwich fans here he is from Ipswich when he is announced to come to the ring, he will get a very hostile reception. "There’s a lot of rivalry between Norwich and Ipswich and football, and boxing is no different. "Norwich and Ipswich don’t get on and he’s going to be getting it on the night. He will have all the Norwich fans giving him grief as well as me in the ring."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home