Friday, September 26, 2008

Oakey in Cleverly's Line of Fire

Boxing-scholar Nathan Cleverly is preparing for his hardest exam yet - a Commonwealth light-heavyweight challenge against former champion Tony Oakey. Cleverly will face Oakey at the Everton Park Sports Centre, Liverpool, on October 10 as he steps up to title level for the first time. Sky Sports will televise the fight live. And after the fight, it will be straight back to the lecture theatre for Cleverly, who is in the third year of a Maths degree at Cardiff University."This is a massive fight for me, but I can't wait to make the step up to title level," said Cleverly, who has only had 12 professional outings and is just 21. "I know Oakey is going to be in my face right from the start, he's that kind of fighter. "People think he is going to be tougher, stronger and better prepared mentally than me, but they are in for a surprise. "I'll match whatever he throws at me, and come back with more - that's a promise. I know this a great stage for me and a chance to prove that I belong at British level." Cleverly was initially due to face British and Commonwealth champion Dean Francis on the card, but Francis pulled out, vacating his Commonwealth belt in the process. And former British, Commonwealth and WBU champion Oakey was quick to step up to the plate as a replacement. "Francis beat Oakey in his last fight, but it was 50-50 and up until it was stopped you could make a case for Oakey winning, so opponent wise, it's just as tough," said Cleverly. "It's a question of youth against experience, and I believe youth will prevail. "Francis is still very much on my agenda as well, and when I've beaten Oakey I'll be going after him." Cleverly made his American debut in Las Vegas earlier this year, and the rangy stylist has been ear-marked for big things ever since he turned professional. And he insists that boxing is his number one choice - despite his academic ability."It's great to have a degree to fall back on, but I've not given much thought to a career outside of boxing," he said. "I want to win this British title, make a few defences and see where I go from there. I know I can be the best light-heavyweight in Britain, now I just have to prove it." The undercard features Liverpool stars Tony Bellew, Joe Selkirk, Steven Smith, Craig Lyon and the pro debut of Liam Smith. Manchester prospects Matthew Hall, Denton Vassell and Anthony Crolla complete the card. Tickets, priced £40 and £60, are available from the Sports Network Box Office on 01992 550 888.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home