Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Napa aims for a World Title

IAN NAPA has been challenged to prove he is good enough to fight for a version of the world bantamweight championship. Hackney's pocket dynamo and trainer Brian Lawrence have been running up their phone bills begging promoter Frank Maloney to get the 5ft 1in slugger a world title shot. And Maloney has promised to try and answer their pleas if Napa (17-6) can defeat European champion Carmelo Ballone (21-2-1) at York Hall, Bethnal Green on Friday October 17. Provided the British champion beats the Belgian, Maloney will press for Napa to be rated in the WBC top ten at the organisation's convention which will be held in Chengdu, China from November 2-8. Maloney said: "Ian and Brian are badgering me for a world title fight, and this is the chance for him to show his worth. "Right now, he is just outside the top 15 of the WBC rankings. If he defeats Ballone I will push for him at the convention to be put into the top ten and in an elimination series for a crack at champion, Hozumi Hasagawa." Napa, 30, failed in a previous European title tilt against Simone Maludrottu, but has since won a Lonsdale belt and made three successful defences. He said: "This is my second chance of home advantage for the Euro crown and I'll get it right. I've seen a couple tapes of the Ballone and I think I'm too slick.
"Losing is something I cannot think about. There are some good British fighters, but I now believe I am above domestic level. "Time is not on my side and I want to fight at world title level. I know I am good enough. Tickets for 'Dapa Napa' can be obtained from www.frankmaloney.com or by calling 0871 226 1508.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home