Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Oakey's experience over Cleverly's Youth

Commonwealth light-heavyweight title challenger Tony Oakey says it will be a question of experience over youth in Liverpool on Friday night.Oakey challenges 21-year-old unbeaten Welsh hot-shot Nathan Cleverly at the Everton Park Sports Centre on October 10 live and exclusive on Sky Sports. And the former British, Commonwealth and WBU champion insists that he will come out on top - even if he is preparing for the fight of his life."I won the Commonwealth title after a similar number of fights, so I know just how hungry Cleverly will be," said 32-year-old from Portsmouth. "He's young and his fresh and he's got good wins on his record he'll be dangerous. "Nathan is the upcoming fighter, but I have proved myself many times before and I'll do so again on Friday night. "I'm not taking anything for granted though because as soon as you step through the ropes into a professional boxing ring then you get my respect." Oakey lost his last fight, a KO defeat against Dean Francis in a thriller in Portsmouth, but has vowed to set the record straight. "He caught me with a great shot and I did well to get up at all," said Oakey, who was eventually counted out. "Funnily enough, the defeat was easier to swallow than my losses against Peter Haymer and Matthew Barney, where I believe I was robbed. "Beating Cleverly will give me the chance to fight Francis again, and that's what I want. "I've still got a lot left in the tank, and I've still got ambitions to fight for a European and world title. "I'm concentrating on Cleverly and not looking too far ahead, but there is a lot at stake on Friday night."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home