Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Saunders set for Big Time Boxing

Olympian Billy Joe Saunders is aiming to become the first Romany to become a world champion.Saunders, who lives on a travelers camp in Hatfield, Herts, made history when he went to the 2008 Beijing Games in the summer. Although he didn't get among the medals, he became the first Romany to represent team GB at an Olympics. And now he has his sights set on similar history making in the professional ranks, with his long awaited debut planned for early next year along with team mates James DeGale and Frankie Gavin. There have been successful Romany fighters in the UK before - including a number of British champions - but Billy Joe, 19, is aiming to top them all and lift a world title. "It would make me so proud to do it, and I've got the ability to do it if I keep my focus and train hard," said Saunders, who plans to box between welterweight and light-middleweight for his first few fights. "But I'm not just fighting for my people, I'm fighting for all British boxing fans and everyone who supported us at the Olympics. Winning a world title would be my way of saying thank you." Saunders, who is sticking with amateur coach Danny Hoy, says he can't wait to get his career underway in February having signed professional terms with leading promoter Frank Warren. "I'm counting every day," said Billy Joe. "It's been a while since the Olympics and I can't wait to get back into the ring. "It will be better for me being a professional because I think my style is more suited that way of boxing."I'll get a chance to plant my feet and let my shots go, and that's perfect for the way that I fight." "You can just stand there and get on with it and throw more combinations, and that's going to play right into my hands."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home