Friday, February 06, 2009

Cleverly gets a tough Task

Fast-rising boxing star Nathan Cleverly has been handed a tough fight against heavy-handed Samson "The Hammer" Onyango next Friday night. The Welshman was originally scheduled to box James Obede Toney at the Oasis Sports Centre in Swindon next Friday night live on Sky Sports. But when the Ghanaian was ruled out with an injury, in stepped Kenya's Onyango. He has an 18-3 record with 12 stoppages, and is sure to give unbeaten Cleverly a tough fight. The Blackwood hot-shot, a potential candidate for the prestigious Boxing Writers' Young Boxer of Year, is unbeaten in 14 with four KOs - and knows he'll have to be at his best. "Onyango looks just as good as Toney, if not a bit better," said Cleverly. "But I'm buzzing after defending my title in style just before Christmas, and I'm ready for another action-packed display next Friday.
"It will be a St Valentine's weekend massacre - with all the big shots coming from me. "I've had a great training camp and it really doesn't matter who Frank Warren puts in front of me, I'm going to war and I'm going to win in style." A pro for four years, Onyango has won six of his last seven fights. Tickets, priced at £30 Bench, £40 Terraced, £60 Outer Ring-Side and £100 Ringside including VIP, are available from The Oasis on 01793 445 401.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home