Monday, February 02, 2009

African test for Broadhurst

Commonwealth Super-Flyweight champion Don Broadhurst faces another African test on February 28 in his native Birmingham. The unbeaten 25-year-old defeated Isaac Quaye to lift his first championship title last October. And now the pint sized scrapper will meet a second Ghanaian at the National Indoor Arena, Isaac Owusu. The Ghanaian super-flyweight champion has, like Broadhurst beaten Quaye on points over 12 rounds and is a hard-hitting pro of five years. Owusu, who has a record of 11 wins with only one loss and five knockouts, steps in after Broadhurst's original opponent, Andy Bell, withdrew after failing a BBBofC drug test last month."These Africans are always tough opponents, so I'm going to have to be at my best," said Broadhurst. "I don't think I've hit any opponent harder than I did Quaye, and he was still standing there at the end, so I'm going to earn my money against Owusu. "In many respects he's a tougher oppponent than Andy Bell, but that suits me down to the ground because I want to be tested when I fight. "My aim is to add the British title later this year and then go after European and World honours. "It's great to be earning good money but my legacy and putting Birmingham boxing back on the map are what's important to me. "I want my great-grandchildren to be reading about me in fifty or sixty years time and saying I was a great champion." Joint-headlining the bill will be Matt Skelton's Commonwealth Heavyweight Title showdown with Martin Rogan, plus the glittering professional debuts of the 2008 Olympians, Frankie Gavin, Billy Joe Saunders and James DeGale. Tickets, priced at £30, £50, £100 and £150, are available from: Ticket Factory 0844 338 8000 See Tickets 0871 220 0260 Ticket Master 0844 847 2500 Ticketline 0871 888 9991

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home