Monday, February 23, 2009

Saunders in tip top Shape

Top prospect Billy Joe Saunders makes his professional debut on Saturday night - but says he's ready to start campaigning over the championship distance straight away. The 19-year-old, who will feature on a blockbuster Olympian card at the N.I.A in Birmingham, will face former Hungarian lightweight champion Attila Molnar over four rounds live on Sky Sports. But the confident teenager, who went to the 2008 Olympic Games, insists that he could easily fight three times that distance that after teaming up with renown trainer Jimmy Tibbs. He looked in excellent shape today during a media work out at the Peacock Gym in London's East End. "I thought I was fit when I went to the Olympics last year," said Saunders. "But the work that Jimmy has been giving me to do has taken me to another level. "I don't think I've ever worked so hard in my life - fighting on Saturday night is going to be the easy bit." Saunders has enjoyed quality sparring before his professional debut - fellow 2008 Olympians DeGale and Frankie Gavin also feature - and has benefited from the advice of experienced Tibbs. "Jimmy has been around boxing for years, so he knows what he's talking about," said Saunders. "I feel like improved 100% in the few weeks that I've been with him. "He's really whipped me into shape and I could easily go 12 rounds on Saturday night if I was asked to." Tibbs, who has trained a multitude of world champions, added: "Billy Joe had quite a professional style to start with, so I've not had to change him too much. "He's got an amazing talent and I'm really excited about Saturday night, because the public are going to see a very special boxer."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home