Thursday, March 26, 2009

Daws and McDonagh clash at York Hall

Lenny Daws is predicting that Peter McDonagh will be in for a nasty surprise when they clash for the English Light Welterweight title on a Hennessy Sports show at the York Hall on April 11th. McDonagh has said that he believes Daws is struggling to boil down to Light Welterweight ahead of their title clash which will be shown live on ITV4 as the chief support to the eagerly anticipated Commonwealth Welterweight title match up between John O’Donnell and Craig Watson. Daws though is adamant that he has no problems making the 10 stone weight limit. “I’m pretty much on the weight already so if he thinks I have problems he’s in for a shock. In fact once he gets in there with me I think he’ll be surprised at just how strong I am at the weight.” McDonagh is noted for being a seasoned, durable foe and the Bermondsey fighter is currently in the best form of his career having ended the unbeaten run of Lee Purdy last time out to claim the Southern Area title. Daws however is going by the old adage that that while form is temporary, class is permanent. “I believe I’m a level above Peter. I remember him from the amateurs and he hasn’t changed much. I’m sure he’ll be well up for the fight and credit to him for stepping up to the challenge and wanting to prove he belongs at this level but I think it’s a step too far for him. “He’s known as being tough and has a great chin, his only stoppage defeat was on a cut so I’ll be looking to make a statement against him and wearing him down for a stoppage. I’ve been doing 10 and 12 rounds in sparring easy and it’s the best I’ve felt in the gym for a long, long time and I think that will show in my performance.” The Morden fighter is hopeful that an impressive win in front of the ITV cameras will see him back in the mix for a shot at his old British title. “Every fight is important but I know that a good win here should be enough to get me a crack at my old British title. I wasn’t happy with the way I lost that Lonsdale belt so I’m desperate to get my hands on it again.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home