Thursday, June 25, 2009

Kell Brook to face Michael Lomax

Kell Brook will aim to win a Lonsdale belt outright on July 18 when he defends his British welterweight title against Michael Lomax. The Sheffield prospect - who has already picked the nickname "Special K" in building up a 19-fight unbeaten record - will form part of the huge undercard to Amir Khan's WBA light-welterweight title challenge against Andreas Kotelnik. And the 23-year-old is aiming to win a Lonsdale belt inside 14 months, having taken just seven completed rounds to win three British title fights already. After stopping Barrie Jones in the seventh, he put former British champion Kevin McIntyre on the floor three times in the first before bombing out Stuart Elwell in two. But Brook could find the going a lot tougher against Lomax, who won a recent Prizefighter tournament and trains out of the same camp as British Super-Featherweight Champion Kevin Mitchell and former WBO World Super-Featherweight Champion Nick Cook. The Essex southpaw, 30, has a 15-1-1 record and will also enjoy a significant height and reach advantage over Brook. "This is the toughest fight of my career," said Brook, who has stopped 12 of 19 foes. "Lomax is a quality operater, but once he tastes my power there will only be one winner. "I've had an early bath in all my British title fights, and I'm planning another one on July 14. "It's a great buzz when you are knocking people out, and I'm aiming for an electric display next month." Brook, now fighting out of the world famous Brendan Ingle gym, also has his sights set on European and world glory. "I'm the real deal and I want to be fighting for a world title by this time next year," he added. But experienced Lomax hit back by saying: "Brook hasn't fought anyone in my class, and he's in for a shock when we meet. "That British title is coming back to Essex, and Kell's only keeping it warm for me. I'm the better boxer and everyone will see that on July 18."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home