Friday, June 12, 2009

Khan's admiration for Lewis's Roll of Honour

Amir Khan has congratulated Lennox Lewis on reaching boxing's Hall of Fame - and says he wants to follow in the former heavyweight world champion's footsteps. Lewis will be inducted over the weekend in the American city of Canastota after a glittering career which saw him become undisputed champion and twice regain the world title. And Khan, 22, says he has been inspired by the feats of Lewis - and wants his own Hall of Fame career. "I grew up watching Lennox's fights and he was one of the fighters who first got me into boxing," he said. "It's an amazing achievement to get nominated for the Hall of Fame, and I'd like to congratulate him on his success. "If I can go on to replicate just half of what Lennox did then I'll be delighted. "But like him I want to become an undisputed world champion, and I'll take the first step of that journey on June 27." It's then that Khan will tackle Andreas Kotelnik at the O2 Arena, London, in a challenge for the WBA light-welterweight title. "I'm desperate to give Britain another world champion," said Khan. "I've been training hard in the States to make it happen, but hopefully victory over Kotelnik will only be the start of things to come. "I think every boxer sets their sights high when they turn professional, and I'm no different. "I don't want to just be a world champion, I want to be a great world champion, and that's what I'm going to be working on doing for the next three or four years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home