Friday, June 12, 2009

Lawton's Pre Fight Jibe at Murray

Reigning English Champion Scott Lawton has warned John Murray not to take him for granted ahead of Saturday nights British title showdown at the Robin Park Arena in Wigan. Lawton will challenge for Murray’s Lonsdale belt in the main event on Hennessy Sports “Rule Britannia” event which is live on ITV4 from 8pm. Murray claims his focus hasn’t been distracted by talk of a big fight Stateside with Juan “Baby Bull” Diaz or the prospect of another British title defence against former European champ Jon Thaxton in what would be a major domestic showdown. However Lawton is adamant that he’s ready to capitalise on any slip ups from the champion tomorrow night. “Knowing that those other fights could be out there for him probably will be a distraction for him so I have to use that to my advantage,” said Lawton. “I know John and he’s a good pro so I’m sure he’s not looking past me but maybe in the back of his mind it could have an impact. There’s a lot at stake for him and he’s the favourite so all the pressure will be on him.”Lawton failed in a previous bid to win the British title when he was defeated by then champion Jon Thaxton back in 2007 but he’s determined to make amends this weekend. “I missed out the first time around so I’m even more determined now to get my hands on a Lonsdale belt. I’m looking at it as the biggest fight of my life. To win that British title would be a dream come true for me and it’s a chance that I never thought would come again. “I’m coming into this fight as the underdog and that’s the way I like it. There’s no pressure on me at all. I’m in the best form of my career and I’m coming into this fight very, very confident. I’ve sparred John and know all about him so we’ve come up with a game plan and I know if I stick to that then I can become British Champion.” The chief support on Saturday night features a Battle of Champions as Central Area Lightweight Champ Nadeem Siddique takes on reigning Southern Area Welterweight titleholder Tom Glover over 10 rounds. The card also features a host of exciting prospects including Canadian based puncher, Andrew Singh Kooner, rising featherweight star Steve “Super Bad” Barnes, welterweight Phill Fury and the pro debuts of Bobby “Boogaloo” Ward, the last Englishman to defeat Amir Khan and Sheffield heavyweight, Richard Towers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home