Thursday, July 09, 2009

Thaxton and McIntosh Fight for Norfolk Pride

Former British and European Lightweight champ Jon Thaxton is backing fellow Norwich man Danny McIntosh to bring another British title back to Norfolk. McIntosh clashes with Nathan Cleverly in a battle of undefeated fighters at the York Hall, Bethnal Green on July 18th with the British Light Heavyweight title on the line. The Hennessy Sports event is live on ITV4 and Thaxton features on the undercard as he bids to bounce back from the loss of his European title.It will be “Jono’s” first appearance since suffering a controversial points defeat at the hands of Frenchman Anthony Mezaache in February but he’s confident that Norwich fight fans will be celebrating on the double at the York Hall. “I know that this next fight is a must win for me, otherwise my plans to win back the British and European titles will go out the window and I know Danny is just as hungry for success. I’m training alongside him at the moment at the Ingle’s Gym in Sheffield and he is really fired up for his fight with Cleverly. “He knows just what’s at stake and he’s been working tremendously hard. When something like the British title is on the line it gives you that extra bit of incentive to work even harder in the gym and I believe that dedication will pay off for Danny at the York Hall.” Cleverly, the reigning Commonwealth champion is the bookies favourite ahead of the clash but Thaxton believes that McIntosh can spring an upset. “Danny is thriving on being the underdog,” revealed Thaxton. “There’s no pressure on him because people are already writing him off and he’s relishing the chance to prove those people wrong. “I’ve seen him up close in the gym and trust me he can really bang and he’s got tremendous boxing ability as well so I really fancy him to pull it off.” Thaxton has title aspirations of his own and he believes that a win this month will put him on course for British and European title fights later in the year. “People are putting the words former Champion in front of my name now and I hate it,” admitted Thaxton. “I want those titles back and as soon as possible and I believe that as long as I come through on July 18th my next fight should either be for the vacant British Lightweight title or a rematch with Mezzache for the European so things are looking up for me right now. I just need to make sure that I don’t slip up in London.” The York Hall undercard also features unbeaten Heavyweight sensation Tyson Fury in his seventh professional outing while Ireland’s reigning European Union Lightweight Champion Andy Murray is also in action. Hot prospects Steve O’Meara, Lee Purdy, Dwayne Lewis, Bobby Ward and Del Rogers also take to the ring on an action packed night of championship boxing that also features recent Big Brother evictee Angel McKenzie in her 18th pro fight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home