Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Brook faces Eastern European Opponent

Hot prospect for 2010 Kell Brook will face tough Eastern European opposition on February 13 in an eliminator for the WBO World Welterweight title currently held by pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao. The 23-year-old British champion, and 2009's British Boxing Writers' Young Boxer of the Year, takes on Poland's Krzysztof Bienias at Wembley Arena on Frank Warren's huge Night of the Champions extravaganza. Bienias is the current WBO Intercontinental champion, a belt that will be on the line in North London. And the 29-year-old, who has a 39-3 (16) record and has previously challenged for the European light-welterweight title, is currently ranked number four by the WBO. Brook, who is undefeated in 20 fights and who has just raced to a Lonsdale belt outright inside 12 months, is rated seven by the organisation. "Bienias has a great record and he's going to be a very dangerous opponent," said the Sheffield sensation. "He's the kind of guy that I need to beat if I'm going to get to world level. "He's above me in the ratings and if I beat him then I'm going to be progressing nicely and I'll be one step closer to that world title opportunity. "Bienias hasn't been beaten for five years and he'll be coming to London to win. "But it's a fantastic opportunity for me to make a big statement and I'll be looking to keep up my run of KO victories. "I've been saying for the last year that I want to be tested and I'm ready for world level and this fight is the perfect chance to do just that. "Winning the Lonsdale belt outright is a dream come true but it's just the start. 2010 is going to be my year and I'll be the name on everybody's lips. "I want to be a world champion by the end of the year."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home