Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Murray matched with Mitchell

Hot on the heels of DeGale V Groves, Promoter Frank Warren will follow it up with yet another mouth-watering domestic showdown that the whole country wants to see - John Murray versus Kevin Mitchell. The two best Lightweights in the country have now both signed up for a summer showdown with London expected to play host. Former British, Commonwealth and European Champion Murray, 31-0-0 (18), boasts the longest unbeaten run in British Boxing and sees Mitchell as the last hurdle in his quest to challenge for a world title challenge. Essex man Mitchell, 31-1-0 (23), sees Mancunian rival as his ticket back to the big time after his disappointment at Upton Park and knows another defeat could end his own world title aspirations. Murray said today; "I thought Mitchell had bottled it once and for all when he turned down the opportunity to fight me last month, but I am glad he has finally put pen to paper as this fight has been a long time coming and, apart from the world title, this is the only meaningful challenge left for me in the UK." Dagenham's Mitchell, himself a former British and Commonwealth Champion, said today; "Murray's done well but he hasn't faced me yet and, if he had, we wouldn't keep hearing about his unbeaten record, I was 31-0 too with more stoppages than him, until I lost out in my 32nd fight which he will too. Personally, I hope this fight takes place in the East End so I can show my legions of fans that last year was a one off an Kevin Mitchell is back. The date, and the site of the fight will be announced soon and a sell-out is expected for the North v South showdown. Promoter Frank Warren added; "Like DeGale V Groves this is another fantastic fight that I am so pleased to be able to stage this summer. Finally the big fights are being made and like the winner DeGale V Groves, the winner can look forward to a world title challenge in the new season. This is a real 50/50 match and I salute both guys for signing up for it. I am working on a date and venue for the show and hope to announce this and, of course, a top quality undercard very soon."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home