Thursday, May 05, 2011

DeGale and Groves Blast from the Past

James DeGale and George Groves returned to their former amateur gym today ahead of their big May 21 clash at The O2, London. The pair will meet in a mouth-watering British and Commonwealth super-middleweight title showdown, live on Sky Box Office.But on Thursday morning they took a stroll down memory lane when they held a press conference at Dale Youth ABC. It was at the west London gym that the pair initially became friends - before falling out spectactularly. Groves famously beat DeGale as an amateur. But his big rival went on to lift the gold medal at the 2008 Olympic Games in China. Now in just two weeks time the public will finally find out who really is the best. "It all came flooding back when I walked through the doors again," said DeGale. "All the blood, sweat and tears that it took for me to win that Olympic medal. "It also reminded me of just why I don't like George Groves. "He was jealous of me as an amateur and he has been jealous of me ever since I turned professional. "He thought he was going to the golden boy of British boxing, but he had to watch me get the glory instead. "I used to play with him sparring here, and I'll play with him when we meet on May 21." But Groves hit back by saying: "James knows that I can beat him, and that makes me a very dangerous opponent. "He's a good fighter but I'm winning the mental war ahead of this fight. "I've got the pyschological edge over him. I can see he's worried. I spent so much time around him as an amateur that I can read him like a book. "And he is in for a very painful chapter of his life at the O2."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home