Wednesday, September 07, 2011

DeGale chief support in Liverpool

James DeGale's challenge for the European Super-Middleweight title will be chief support to the explosive showdown between Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew at the Liverpool Echo Arena. The former British champion gets straight back into title contention against the reigning champion Piotr Wilczewski from Roztocznik in Poland on Saturday 15th October. Promoter Frank Warren confirmed the addition today at a press conference in London today. DeGale, who won the British title in Liverpool when he beat Paul Smith, said, "I'm looking forward to returning to Liverpool to fight for the European title in what will be a good fight for the fans," "I had a great win there when I beat Paul Smith in December to claim the British title and although he was the local favourite then, I hope the fans will come out and support me," "Piotr is a good tough champion and he looks like a right handful, this is really tough fight for me and I'm expecting him to bring the best out in me on the night," "It's fantastic that I'm challenging for the European title in my first fight back and I'm going to take the title." A further title fight on the card sees 2008 Olympian and unbeaten pro Billy Joe Saunders challenge for the first title of his career when he takes on Southern Area Middleweight Champion Gary Bouldon for his title. An action packed undercard features Liverpool's former British Super-Middleweight Champion Paul Smith; unbeaten Liverpool prospects Joe Selkirk, Rocky Fielding and Liam Smith, Ellesmere Port's unbeaten talent Paul Butler; sensational prospet Ronnie Heffron from Oldham; Welsh stars Craig Evans and Tobias Webb; plus the highly anticipated professional debut of Hyde cruiserweight Danny "Boom Boom" Benson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home