Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Joe's In for Bika Sting

He survived a sting from the worlds deadliest scorpion and now Sakio Bika reckons he can take the venomous punches of the planets best super-middleweight Joe Calzaghe when they meet on October 14 at the M.E.N Arena.

The hard-hitting Cameroonian - who recently gave WBC Champion Markus Beyer a close call in Germany - had to fight for his life when an African Thick Tailed scorpion stung him in his hometown of Doula when he was a 12-years-old boy.

Bika said, "In Cameroon, scorpions are as common as ants and they run about everywhere so when we were younger we used to capture them and keep them as pets,"

"Generally, the scorpions we used to catch were harmless and if they stung you it would nothing worse than a bee sting. But on this particular day I found a rare thick tailed Scorpion which I knew, if I caught, I could sell and make a lot of money to feed our family as I am one of nine children,"

"Anyway, I smothered the scorpion with a piece of rag and as I went to pick it up it somehow got it's tail free and it struck me on the hand,"

He continued, "I dropped the scorpion and immediately started to feel an immense pain in my hand which had started to swell. I then started staggering towards the nearest house with my heart was beating really fast and I began to get dizzy with blurred vision. I just made it to the front door of a house and that is all I remember before passing out. The lady who answered the door said to me later that I was frothing at the mouth and my whole body went into a violent shake. A doctor was called I had to be taken to the nearest hospital where I was given the life saving anti-venom and I recovered. After a week I was fine. I was lucky to be alive, a few more minutes and I would have been dead. Apparently these scorpions kill between 1 and 4 people a year."

Following his near-fatal experience Sakio gave himself the nickname 'The Scorpion' and still keeps them as pets.

Bika insist he has nothing to fear from WBO/IBF king Calzaghe - who stung Jeff Lacy an incredible 1006 times in March - and believes it is now his time to become world champion.

He added, "Calzaghe's a great fighter but just one scorpion bite is more painful than being hit with a billion punches from him,"

"I was close to death you can't get more close than I have so what have I got to worry about Joe Calzaghe for?"

"This is my second chance at the World title and I'm not scared to travel and fight an opponent in there own backyard to achieve my dream of becoming World champion."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home