Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Golf Stars Flock to China

The HSBC Champions will be played at the Sheshan International Golf Club with winners from four leading golf tours and the top 50 on the Official World Rankings qualifying. The event is co-sanctioned by The European Tour, Asian Tour, the PGA Tour of Australasia, the Sunshine (Southern Africa) Tour, and the China Golf Association.

Henrik Stenson, Thomas Bjorn and Camilo Villegas are the latest players to commit to playing in the HSBC Champions in Shanghai, 9th to 12th November, 2006. They will compete against tournament winners from four of the World’s leading Tours for the ‘Champion of Champions’ title.

This year’s field will be the strongest ever seen in China with 10 of the World’s Top 20 players already confirmed including World Number 1, Tiger Woods, World Number 2, Jim Furyk, two-time US Open winner, Retief Goosen, 2006 HSBC World Match Play Champion, Paul Casey, defending Champion, David Howell and European Ryder Cup stars, Colin Montgomerie, Luke Donald and Padraig Harrington.

The international field represents players from more than 20 countries battling it out for the largest prize fund on offer in Asia of US$5 million.

Tiger Woods;

“I had a lot of fun at the HSBC Champions last year and I am delighted to be returning to the Shanghai Sheshan International Golf Club for a second time. It’s a title I really want to win – especially after chasing David so hard last year and coming so close. All the players appreciated the fantastic reception from the Chinese golf fans and the atmosphere was amazing all week.”

Jim Furyk;

“I am really looking forward to traveling to China – it will be my first time playing in an official tournament there and the strength of the field makes it an important one to win in terms of world ranking points. It will be fantastic to compete against the champions from the different Tours and I think it will be a very special week.”

Retief Goosen;

“By all accounts it was a fantastic tournament last year and I was really disappointed to miss out. I had a fantastic experience in China last year when I won the Volkswagen China Masters and I can’t wait to return to play in the HSBC Champions.”

David Howell;

“Winning the HSBC Champions last year kick-started my best season ever on Tour. To finish top in an event with so many of the world’s best players – and especially holding off Tiger’s challenge at the weekend - gave me a real boost and I am looking forward to my title defense”

Lian-Wei Zhang;

“This is a fantastic event for Asian golf with so many elite golfers traveling over to compete for the biggest prize fund in Asia. It’s a fantastic tournament venue and I really want to improve on my 12th place finish last year.”

Colin Montgomerie;

“Having played on the tour for 20 years, I really enjoyed playing in this new event last year in such an exciting city as Shanghai. It is a title I would love to win and a good finish at the HSBC Champions would also get my 2007 European Order of Merit campaign of to a fantastic start.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home