Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Pardew’s pardon for Wenger’s outburst

An eighty ninth minute goal by Marlon Harewood took the roof off Upton Park on the day of fireworks night, but amongst the celebrations of West Ham United sealing a 1-0 victory over Arsenal, and moving out of the relegation zone, the delight of Hammers manager, Alan Pardew, was short lived, as he leapt from the bench, only to receive an a shove from an angry Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger, who exchanged words with Pardew, and gave him an unfriendly eye ball.

“Lets just say this, if I was over zealous in my celebrations which I’m sure I was, Ludo nearly killed me by the way ! I apologise fully to Arsene Wenger and Arsenal Football Club. Three minutes from the end, we’ve had a tough old season here, and maybe that come out at that time. He was annoyed with that and maybe quite rightly so, but I hope that I can iron that out before he goes home, and see him and be big enough to shake hands, and look each other in the eye. On my part, I’ve great respect for him, as I said in the programme notes, and that won’t change, even after today, I have great respect for what a great manager he’s been.”

In the heat of the moment, Pardew was adamant that he did not say anything he regretted, as the Hammers manager continued to try and clear the air, despite Wenger denoting a still tongue over the whole situation.

“I did say that I was just celebrating the goal and don’t begrudge me that. There was two or three moments prior to that, the penalty (that wasn’t given) and perhaps he thought it was a foul by Matty (Etherington) before he put the cross in (for the goal), that raised the levels. On my part, in all honesty, I didn’t say anything, I just celebrated the goal, and as I say, perhaps I was over zealous and I apologise for that.”

Although the situation was not resolved and both managers could face the wrath of a F.A. disciplinary committee, Pardew was keen to keep focus on the job in hand.

“As far as I’m concerned, I want to put it behind us, concentrate on what is important to me and that’s West Ham, its been a great day for us and I said in the dressing room to the players, this is our day, let’s not spoil it by anything, let’s take on board all the hard work we’ve put in, when we were losing cause this game has a great gift of rewarding you, when you least expect it and we beat the Arsenal, we lost to them in under 16 and under 18 level, so that will give the academy a boost, as well, and it’s a good day for us.”

Another sour note, was the throwing of a coin from the crowd, that hit Arsenal player, Robin Van Persie, during the first half, and Pardew was the first to condone the actions of the guilty party.

“I asked the bench did something happen there because I wasn’t sure if he was injured. West Ham fans have been absolutely brilliant this season, we’ve had the odd incident like most clubs, and it’s a shame if that spoils what is our day. So that one fan should be ashamed and hope we can see him on CC Tv, and never let him come back to the ground again. “

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home