Friday, December 15, 2006

Harrison Takes Revenge on Williams

Promoter, Frank Warren had his work cut out after first Matt Skelton pulled out of his heavy weight title fight against Audley Harrison, due to a hand inury through a sparring session, and then to make matters worse Scott Harrison withdrew with 72 hours notice from the top of the bill WBO Featherweight contest against Nicky Cook, after claiming he could not make the weight.

Up to the plate stepped Danny Williams as he faced Audley Harrison in a re-match of their dull Commonwealth Heavyweight encounter at the same ExCel Arena, a year earlier. That time round, Audley was greeted by the ringing sound of boos from the crowd, disenchanted by the lack of action, as Williams won on points.

“Physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally, I’m in the right place, and the first Danny Williams fight and Dominick Guinn fight, you might as well say I gave those fights away, even though it was a split decision and a points loss, I didn’t perform, I didn’t turn up,” said Audley Harrison.

But Harrison made amends in the re-match, and took the fight to Williams, who was wobbled at the start of the contest and received a heavy cut around his nose which the doctors inspected during the second round. Harrison stepped up his attacks in the third and floored Williams with left and right combinations, who was in no condition to continue, as referee, Richie Davis stepped in to stop the fight after 2 minutes and thirty two seconds.

“I definitely didn’t lose a lesson, last year. I was buried deep, they buried me deep, the press, the public, they buried me deep but as you see, I’ve come back because I believed I can win. Matt Skelton and Danny Williams, I believed I could win. I’ve done the work, I’ve paid the price,” added Harrison.

“I’ve dusted myself off and I’ve comeback. This was a year to the day that I was booed by the crowd, the press have been on my back, everyone has tried to write me off but look at me, I’m standing here in front of you again, and like I said, I think I’ve been blessed because I faced a guy, who beat me last year. It could either have been Matt Skelton, and everyone would have said now you have got to fight Danny, so I think I’ve been blessed, because after this Danny Williams performance, my mission and aim is to win a world title and that’s what I’m going to be focusing on,” concluded Harrison.

Williams was only too aware of how a loss can be overturned into victory, having experienced it, first hand against Matt Skelton, and after receiving stitches in his nose and face, after a bruising defeat against Harrison, he showed the first signs of contemplating hanging up his gloves.

“The Skelton fight was a big wake up call for me. Not many people can say the Tyson fight was the best thing to happen to me but it was probably the worst because after the Tyson fight, I just went crazy on all chocolates, and when the Klitschko fight came up, I was overweight and couldn’t get into proper condition and that had been the case for the last two years. The Skelton fight, after being embarrassed by a guy, who was basically a novice, a strong fit novice, that was a big wake up call,” commented Williams.

But there were no excuses from Williams for the battering he received from Harrison, as he added:

“Audley was just on the ball but maybe the Klitschko fight and the Tyson fight, because even though I won the Tyson fight, some of the shots I took was tremendous so these things take years out of you and maybe its caught up with me.”

Amir Khan was also drafted into a vacant IBF Intercontinetal light-welterweight championship fight against Frenchman, Rachid Drilzane, despite Khan’s decision that he would return to lightweight, after the fight. Celebrating, his twentieth birthday, the Friday before the fight, it was the young Bolton star’s first ten round contest, who overcame a standing count of eight in the seventh round, before receiving a unanimous points decision of 99 to 91 on all three judges score cards.

“I moved up to eight rounds and now to ten for the title. It gave me more focus for the fight and gave me something to fight for. These other fights I’ve been having in the past, have just been normal fights, just to get the experience, but now this fight had a title on the line, so I was more hungry and more focused, and my fitness was there, as I trained hard for this fight. I am over the moon, as soon as I turned twenty, the day after, I got a title fight, its brilliant.” added Khan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home