Thursday, September 27, 2007

Khan banks on fan base

Amir Khan is banking on his large fan base to cheer him to victory over Scott Lawton in Nottingham now the fight has been confirmed for a 10.10pm start.There had been concerns that the Muslim religious festival of Ramadan could prevent some fans attending, but with the boxers not entering the ring until well after sundown, it will ensure they get to see their hero in action." It's great news that my fans will get to see me in action and not have to worry about rushing meals and evening prayers," said Khan, who defends his Commonwealth lightweight title on October 6 at the Nottingham Arena." I've had thousands of people e-mailing my website asking what time the fight starts, but there's no need to panic because it's not on until later in the evening." I've got lots of loyal fans coming from Bolton, but I hope this news means the large Asian community in the Midlands will also come out and support me." Every time I've fought the support I've got - from fans of all races and religions - has been fantastic, and it really spurs me on." I know the atmosphere in Nottingham will be equally as electric."Khan himself has been observing Ramadan despite training hard for the first defence of his Commonwealth title, which he won against Willie Limond in a thriller in July.He has special dispensation to eat during daylight hours on the day of the weigh-in and the fight itself, but will make up for the lost time after the end of Ramadan, which finishes nexct week " I've never trained harder for a fight," said 20-year-old Khan, who has compiled a perfect 13-0 record with 10 KOs. " I know just how dangerous Lawton can be, and he'll fancy his chances after seeing the Limond fight. " But I learned a lot in that fight and you are going to see a much-improved boxer on October 6."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home