Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Pryce is Right

Welsh scrapper Bradley Pryce has promised to become the next World Champion from the famous Enzo Calzaghe stable of champion. The 26-year-old has already seen gym-mates Joe Calzaghe (WBO World Super-Middleweight), Enzo Maccarinelli (WBO World Cruiserweight), Gavin Rees (WBA World Light-Welterweight) and Gary Lockett (WBU World Middleweight) become world champions, and is determined to follow in their footsteps. And if he succeeds, it will mean the Principality will have an unprecedented five world champions all in one gym and be the hottest area for boxing in the UK. 'Seeing Joe, Enzo, Gavin and Gary do so well is really spurring me on,' said Pryce, who makes the fifth defence of his Commonwealth Light-Middleweight title at the Nottingham Arena on October 6 against Leicester KO king Martin Concepcion. 'They deserve all the praise they are getting, but I want to bring a world title back to the gym as well,' 'Enzo is a great trainer and I know he would be over the moon if I brought another world title into the gym. I don't think there is a better trainer in the world today and his work speaks for itself,' 'Light-middleweight is a competitive division at the moment, but I believe I've got the skills and the heart to go all the way to the top,' 'I'm getting better with every fight. A few years ago I wasn't living the life and it showed when I stepped through the ropes. I lost to guys I'd now beat with one hand tied behind my back,' 'Now I'm in the gym every day working harder than ever. We're a great team down in Newbridge, and I want to become the fifth world champion out of the gym,' 'There's been some great Welsh fighters down the years, but I don't know if we've ever had a better crop. I know we can go down in history as the best of the lot.' Pryce admits he will be up against it when he tackles big-punching Concepcion, after the Midlander iced unbeaten Matthew Hall inside a round last time out. But on the same show Pryce scalped top prospect Anthony Small in the seventh round. 'Concepcion is a puncher, but when you spar with the likes of Joe Calzaghe and Enzo Maccarinelli, then it's going to take someone very special to knock you out,' said Pryce. 'I'm used to taking some heavy shots in the gym, and I'll soak up whatever Concepcion throws and come back even harder at him.' Pryce-Concepcion features on a mouth-watering Nottingham Arena card headlined by Amir Khan's Commonwealth lightweight title defence against Scott Lawton, screened live on ITV1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home