Monday, November 19, 2007

Arthur to restore Scottish Pride

Alex Arthur says he'll put a smile back on the faces of Scottish sports fans next month - and break English hearts. Arthur tackles Steve Foster Jnr on December 15 at the Meadowbank Stadium, Edinburgh, in the first defence of his Interim WBO World Super-Featherweight title. The 29-year-old Scotsman took time out over the weekend to watch the nation's football team fall just short against Italy in a vital European Championship qualifier. And with the entire country on a low following the nail-biting defeat, Arthur has vowed to give his fellow Scots something to cheer about. "England always seem to get one over on us when it comes to football," said Arthur. "While Scotland were losing to Italy, England got a massive slice of luck with Israel beating Russia, and I've had plenty of texts from my pals south of the border rubbing it in. "But I've got a great chance of reversing Scotland's fortunes when I fight Steve Foster Jnr. "There'd be a fantastic atmosphere if England and Scotland played tiddlywinks, so imagine what it's going to be like when I take on Foster. "I'm backing my army of fans to really get behind me in this Battle of Britain and cheer me to victory. After all, it's always nice to get one over on the Auld Enemy. "We're both heavy handed and like to go to war, so I think the fans will be in for a treat. The footballers may have come agonizingly close to winning, but I plan to make no mistake against Foster." A former WBU World Featherweight champion and decorated amateur, 27-year-old Foster, says he his hitting much harder having stepped up to super-featherweight, a division where he feels much more comfortable. Arthur, who has previously held British, Commonwealth and European titles, is looking to establish himself as a world class talent, and not only wants to win the full WBO title in 2008, but unify the 9'4 division.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home