Monday, March 10, 2008

Pablo Pits His Wits in Portugal

Spain’s Pablo Martin, who created history last year by becoming the first amateur to win on The European Tour, will return to the scene of his greatest triumph when he defends the Estoril Open de Portugal at Oitavos Dunes, Estoril, from April 3-6. Martin is bidding to emulate England’s Paul Broadhurst, who won the title in 2005 and went on to make a successful defence 12 months later. Now Martin, who is no stranger to setting records – he became the first amateur to lead a European Tour event after 54 holes in the 2003 Open de España – has his sights set on retaining the crown he wrested from Broadhurst in such spectacular fashion last year. After his historic victory, Martin remained an amateur until June, when he turned professional before the US Open Championship and went on to finish in a tie for 30th place at Oakmont Country Club. The 21 year old from Malaga is excited about the opportunity to return to Portugal, where his career took off in such spectacular fashion. Looking back on that extraordinary week in Estoril, he recalled: “It was unbelievable. It really changed my life and opened so many doors. “I’m looking forward to going back. I talked to my Dad and brother and they went to Oitavos a few days ago for a little amateur tournament and they were telling me the course is in good shape. It is a great place to go. I am planning on spending some time down there after the tournament as they have a great beach and I like surfing, so I said to my caddie if I play well we will hang around there.” He continued: “It has been great since then, playing and learning so much. I’ve had high moments and low ones, played in some really cool places and travelled a lot. You learn all the time – from the good rounds and the bad – and it is great to be out here. “One of the highlights was playing in the US Open and playing with Sergio Garcia and José Maria Olazábal in front of Tiger (Woods). That was an unbelievable experience. I wish I could have played some better golf over the year but my game is finally getting there and I just have to be patient.” Winning his maiden title in the Estoril Open de Portugal meant Martin could enjoy a head start over many of his contemporaries. He added: “It meant I didn’t have to worry about going to the Qualifying School or anything like that. I had somewhere to play. “I told my coach I wanted to finish that year with Oklahoma State and hopefully I will get to finish my Economics degree in a year or two. I am planning on taking classes online as it is a good qualification to have. I was close to finishing the degree and it would be great to have something else under my belt. “I was there last week spending some time with the guys and my swing coach, Scott Davies, and my strength coach at Oklahoma State.” Oitavos Dunes, a beautiful Arthur Hills-designed course, surrounded by sand dunes on almost every tree-lined hole but exposed to the strong winds, especially in the holes next to the sea, is set to become a firm favourite on The European Tour. “A delegation from the Tour has already visited us this year and the officials were pleased with the quality of the course and with the preparation work we have scheduled until the start of the Estoril Open de Portugal,” said Frederico Champalimaud, the Golf Director at Quinta da Marinha Oitavos Golfe. “I think the course will be presented in better condition than last year, thanks to the intensive maintenance efforts we have done since last year’s Estoril Open de Portugal, and we have also renewed the cart paths in order to protect the greens.” Since it was opened in 2001, Quinta da Marinha Oitavos Golfe has twice hosted The European Tour, the European Seniors Tour and the Challenge Tour, as well as the Ladies European Tour. The three year agreement signed in 2007 with the Junta de Turismo da Costa do Estoril (Estoril Tourism Board), the Portuguese Golf Federation and The European Tour, guarantees that the Estoril Open de Portugal will travel to the Atlantic coastline once again in 2009. Duarte Nobre Guedes, President of the Estoril Coast Tourism Board, said: “This beautiful part of Portugal is growing in popularity as a tourist golf destination thanks to a combination of high quality golf courses, spectacular scenery and a wonderful climate. “We are delighted that many of the world’s leading professional golfers are returning to Estoril to take part in this great tournament at the Oitavos Dunes Golf Club in Quinta de Marinha and welcome them all to the Lisbon area, named Europe’s golf destination of the year 2007.” Manuel Agrellos, President of the Portuguese Golf Federation, said: “We truly believe that the Estoril Open de Portugal will become a very important event on The European Tour as it has been growing strongly over the last few years. “Golf has an extreme impact on the Portuguese economy and the Estoril Open de Portugal is a major promotion for the country which has magnificent weather, golf courses, gastronomy and a very warm people.” Keith Waters, Director of International Policy for The European Tour, praised the Estoril Open de Portugal tradition, saying: “The tournament boasts an impressive history, dating back to 1953, making the title one of the most prestigious on the Continent of Europe.” The Estoril Open de Portugal is one of the three Portuguese events in The 2008 European Tour International Schedule, two weeks after the Madeira Islands Open BPI – Portugal and six months before the Portugal Masters in the Algarve. The trilogy of Portuguese golf tournaments is the highlight of the Portugal Tourism Board’s strategy, outlined last year in co-operation with The European Tour and the Portuguese Golf Federation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home