Friday, May 23, 2008

Enzo Lands Loew Blows

Furious Enzo Calzaghe has launched a stinging attack on Kelly Pavlik's trainer Jack Loew after he bad mouthed his son Joe - and middleweight title contender Gary Lockett. Loew has been quoted in the press as saying: "maybe Enzo can teach Lockett to slap like a girl - just like Joe". Pavlik and Lockett meet at the Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City on June 7 with the American's WBC and WBO middleweight world titles on the line, screened live and exclusive on Setanta Sports. And the fiery Sardinian hit back at Loew by saying: "I had to go on the internet because I'd never even heard of this person Jack Loew. "And all I found was that he paves driveways. Well, once Lockett has dealt with Pavlik and Loew is out of boxing then at least he can go back to paving driveways. "I've got no one to answer to. I've trained four world champions, I've got other champions in my gym. I won trainer of the year in America last year." Then Enzo added: "When Pavlik is world champion for 10 years and has made 21 title defences then I will listen to Loew, but Pavlik hasn't even held his title for a year yet. All I can say is that Joe must slap pretty hard because he's knocked out 32 of his opponents and been an undefeated world champion for more than a decade. Ask Bernard Hopkins, Jeff Lacy and Mikkel Kessler if Joe Calzaghe slaps. "Loew had better hope and pray that Lockett doesn't slap like Joe because if he does it's going to be goodnight for Kelly Pavlik. He'd better make sure that he is double prepared or even triple prepared for Gary Lockett. "My man is in fantastic shape, real 110% stuff. He's looked brilliant in the gym, he was a great amateur who won European competitions when he was a youngster, he's the real deal." Calzaghe also challenged Loew to have a massive wager on Pavlik, who is a big favourite to win the fight. "If he's so confident in his fighter, then why doesn't he put his house on Pavlik winning," said Calzaghe. "Tell him to put his balls where his mouth is. What he'll tell you is 'No way, Jose'." Then Calzaghe turned his attention to Pavlik. "I've got a lot of respect for Pavlik because he's the champion and he beat Jermain Taylor twice," he said. "Anyone who does that has my respect. "But I have not seen anything from Kelly Pavlik whatsoever that worries me. He's a good fighter but he's mechanical, it's the same thing, same thing, same thing all the time. I can't get worried about it. "He's never heard of Gary Lockett, never seen him fight, but Lockett knows all about Kelly Pavlik, and he is in for a surprise on June 7. His team open their mouths and talk the talk, but can they walk the walk?" "I've spent a lot of time in America already this year, but we're not coming to Atlantic City for a holiday. It's business."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home