Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mitchell Set for American Debut

British star Kevin Mitchell will make his US debut on the undercard of Gary Lockett's world middleweight title challenge against Kelly Pavlik on June 7. Mitchell, the British, Commonwealth, WBO and IBF Intercotinental Super-Featherweight Champion, will only be defending his WBO Intercontinental belt at the Boardwalk Hotel in Atlantic City. The show will be screened live and exclusive on Setanta Sports in the UK. It will be Mitchell's third fight in 2008, and his first since ripping the British title away from teak-tough Carl Johanneson. Mitchell eventually won in the ninth round, having brilliantly weathered a firestorm from the Yorkshireman. And it also extended the 23-year-old's unbeaten run to 26 fights, and strengthened his top 10 ranking with both the IBF and WBO. No opponent has been announced yet for Mitchell, but he has promised American fight fans an explosive performance. "I've always wanted to fight in the States, and do so on such a big card is great news," said the youngster. "But this is just the start - I plan to go back and appear in Las Vegas and New York as well. "I get some fan mail from the States, but those who haven't seen me yet won't be disappointed. "I'll knock out whoever they put in front of me and do it in style to show everyone out there us Brits mean business. "2008 is turning out to be a fantastic year for me. I've already headlined a show at the home of British boxing, York Hall, then fought in front of 20,000 people to win the British title at the O2 Arena. "When Frank Warren phoned me to say I'd be boxing in the States as well it was just the icing on the cake" Mitchell, who fights out of Dagenham, Essex, is intent on fighting for a world title before the end of the year, and has his sights firmly set on promotional stablemate and current interim WBO champion at 9'4, Alex Arthur

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home